Alerts and Workflow Engine
The Impel Alerts & Workflow Engine (AWE, for short!) helps you do a whole lot of things in mysterious ways. AWE begins with one simple idea: that you want things done at specific points in time OR triggered by specific events. So that means you have a clear idea of two things:
- What should happen
- When it should happen.
The Rule has three aspects to it:
- The Event - whether data was added, updated or either.
- The Condition - details like "when an invoice is added, but the invoice is at least $ 100 in value" or "when a contact is added, but only if s/he has agreed to be contacted".
- The Timing - this can be one of three things:
- as a Trigger - meaning, as soon as the Event occurs; this is typical - send email immediately when an Invoice is created, say
- as an Escalation - meaning, some minutes before of after a date that was set up when the Event occurred; for example, 15 minutes before a meeting's Start time or 2 hours after a Ticket was created
- as an Automation - meaning, at a specific time every day/day of week/day of month; for example, every day at 8 PM, for all the invoices created in the last 24 hours.
Actions can be one of the following things:
- Assign a record based on a round-robin calculation - for example, automatically assign a new Contact to one agent from a group selected on language skills
- Create an Event or Task for a specific User - for example, create a Task for an Accounts user to validate a new Customer every time an order of greater than $ 2,000 is received
- Email a response to a user or a contact using a pre-defined email format
- Hit a URL with specific parameters - to integrate with external systems to send an Impel user a Push Notifications
- Insert a record into a related Object - for example, set up a Lead for a salesperson when a call-center agent marks a prospect as "Interested"
- Roll up a value from a set of records into a summary record - say, the total value of invoices over $ 2000 on each Account that you track
- Send a text message to a user or a contact - a pre-formatted message that includes things like a Customer Number or a Ticket Number
- Update a Counter of a specific format, where the format can be very complex
- Update a column, either on the record that was just added/updated or on a record in a related Object.
Rules and Actions can be set up by people who have a good sense for the Impel data model and some programming skills. The user-interface sucks, so we don't normally have our customers work on this kind of stuff. We have Partners who'll help do this - in a matter of hours. Let us know and we'll connect you.
Want more details of what's possible? Click here for a more detailed set of use cases.